Helldorado is an annual event that has been celebrated in Las Vegas since the late 1930s. These days, it is part of Preservation Month.
Here's the info on this year's celebration:
Bring the family to enjoy the 2011 Helldorado Parade, set for 7 p.m. on Saturday, May 14. Approximately 110 parade entries are expected to march down Fourth Street in downtown Las Vegas fom Gass Avenue to Ogden Avenue. (See parade map.) Parade entries were accepted through April 25.
Thousands of people line the downtown parade route every year, and the parade also is broadcast live by Cox Communications on cable channel 96 and streamed online at www.Cox96.net . KCLV Channel 2 will re-broadcast the parade in the following days. A fireworks show will be launched from the Fremont Street Experience parking garage immediately after the parade.
The city’s annual Hellorado Days festivities are a tribute to the anniversary of the city of Las Vegas. This year marks the city’s 106th anniversary of the founding of Las Vegas. Participants are encouraged to consider these western roots when planning their parade entries. The entries will be judged on appearance, theme and creativity. The winners will be notified after the parade. For more information call 229-6672 or go online at www.elkshelldorado.com .
Complete Helldorado Schedule of Events
April 9-May 15
• Helldorado Trail Ride at Bonnie Springs Ranch April 9;
• Art Show & Auction April 25-May 1 at Las Vegas Elks Lodge;
• Sahara Coins Helldorado Treasure Hunt April 30-May 15;
• Helldorado Shootout Charity Golf Tournament & Banquet at Siena Golf Course May 6-7;
• Ranch Sorting at the Downtown Rodeo Grounds 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. May 11-12;
• “Cowboys for a Cure” Wear Pink Night Helldorado Rodeo at the Downtown Rodeo Grounds 7 p.m. Thursday, May 12; arena pre-show 6 p.m.
• Helldorado Carnival, Exhibits and food vendors at the Downtown Rodeo Grounds May 12-15;
• “The Final Ride” Tribute to Mayor Oscar B. Goodman and Mayor Pro Tem Gary Reese, Friday, May 13; arena pre-show 7 p.m., rodeo 8 p.m.
• Whiskerino Contest at the Downtown Rodeo Grounds 6 p.m. Friday, May 13;
• PRCA Pro Rodeo at the Downtown Rodeo Grounds May 13-15;
• Helldorado Parade 7 p.m. Saturday, May 14, downtown on Fourth Street between Gass and Ogden avenues;
• Fireworks launched from the Fremont Street Experience parking garage following parade;
• Elks Hall of Fame Night at the Rodeo, 9 p.m., May 14; arena pre-show 8 p.m.
• Tribute to Our Veterans Night at the Rodeo, 7 p.m., May 15.
So come join the fun! We hope to see you there!